Sunday, December 16, 2018

Awake and Aware (poem)

Walking and talking
While my heart is aching
Working and waiting
All the while I'm faking

Loving and learning
Hoping that it's real
Questioning and wondering
What strange new things I feel

Hoping and praying
For some new direction
Washing, sanitizing
To prevent infection

Where did my mind go
Why do I wander here
When those I love are far away
And yet so very near

I feel their pain
I weep their tears
The agony of women
Throughout thousands of years.

Who am I to question?
I was but a single child
With a longing for direction
And a spirit running wild.

I suppose they thought that "help"
Meant that things would get better
So they made the phone calls
They sent out the letter

A doctor, some trusted,
But no one ever knew
Who he really was
Or the things he would do.

Automatically respected
Because of his degrees
Some special herbs and it was done
His hands between her knees

"Lie still," he said, and then began.
A straw of wheat to hold "the seed."
"You've known no man?" he asked.
"A 'yes' is all I need."

She wasn't sure what to reply.
She didn't understand.
What did it mean, this thing he asked,
How did you "know" a man?

"I know my father," she replied.
"I know my brothers, too.
And every neighbor she had met,
She said she knew them too.

"But are you 'pure,' "
The man persisted,
"Have you ever done 'the deed?'"
To die was all she wished
As he planted her with "seed."

No angel came to warn her.
No army to defend.
There was no one to hear her cries
And surely not a friend.

Her simple mind was racing
As the straw he did insert
"Lie still, my dear, and hold your tongue
And this won't even hurt."

A lie he told, 
The first of many,
She held her tongue
And spoke not any.

Words; flown away
Into the vacuum of space
For what did it matter
If no one knew your face.

She was just another heifer
In the middle of the herd
Too small yet to be bred
Too silent to be heard

But years would come and go
As they stole each little one
"It can't survive; something is wrong,"
And so the deed was done.

She gave up trying to explain
She had no words for this
To tell them all of history
Was lies; and so was this.

For if reality was true
And she was still awake
The pain was more than she could bear
Each time they came to take.

So she devised a way to cope
A way to just  survive
A way to keep her thoughts at bay
And keep her soul alive. 

She buried who she really was
Accepted her new name.
She memorized the facts they gave
And agreed to play their "game"

She never understood the "rules,"
For they were ever-changing.
Locations near and far, she went
While time was rearranging'

Who was she now?
Who had she been?
She never had a clue.
What was the point?
Who was "the boss?"
She really never knew.

She always followed orders,
No matter what the cost.
Until her 'self' was but a shadow,
Her identity was LOST.

So now it doesn't matter
Who she ever was before.
Her life, forever changed,
Had ended there
When he walked in that door.

A coat of white
Some sacred tools
A straw filled up with "seed."
Some evil herbs to swab "the site"
That's all that he would need.

She was alone
No will to fight
There was no other way
As he began to probe her soul
Her spirit flew away

Where was her G-d?
Where had He gone?
What did this madness mean?
Had she been "bad?"
Was she evil, somehow?
Did this make her "unclean?"

Her soul cried out,
Invaded.
Her body grew.
They waited.

To set the scene,
Protect their secrets,
Create what they had dreamed.

How could she know
What they had planned
For her throughout the years?
How could she speak
Without any words
To explain her constant fears?

No reasonable person
Would believe what she would say.
"I'd rather die than face the truth."
And so they sent her away.

Until the day would come
When the child would soon arrive.
She didn't even know for sure
If it was born alive.

How many years have passed since then
And where did that girl go?
It wasn't me, and not my body --
How then could I possibly know?

Was I even there?
Or was it a dream,
A secret I had to keep?
So I buried the truth,
For I truly didn't know
Why they always put me
To sleep.

Now I'm "awake" and wondering,
What do these feelings mean?
Was that the past of ages ago,
Or someplace in between?

When did it start,
Who was the first
To take my soul from me
It doesn't really matter now,
For I am finally free.

I'm pressing on, despite the pain,
The agony I feel.
I'm not even sure if the memories
That haunt me now are real.

So many times they hypnotized
And inserted random facts
To cover up their dastardly deeds
To hide their hideous acts

And dare I speak of who they are,
It wouldn't matter now ...
For most are long ago dead and gone,
Or missing anyhow.

I now have love
A place to sleep
A roof over my head.
My children to raise,
A life to live,
I'm so glad I'm not dead.

I'm awake and aware,
But still questions arise --
Who was I really, BEFORE?
I close that book,
I leave that room,
I lock up that old door.

The "new me" has a voice
A reason to go on.
But still don't know my purpose .  . .
Or what to build upon?

I'm waiting for direction,
Some order from on high?
It's like I'm stuck in limbo,
And I really don't know why!

I don't remember half of it,
And what I do I can't repeat.
It's not that I'm afraid to,
I simply don't have the words to speak.

Oh yes, I read the dictionary.
I studied all the words.
But nothing can describe their plan
It's both genius and absurd.

How could they think 
They could circumvent
The will of G-d above?
For He is just, He faileth not,
And truly, He is LOVE.

Although I do not understant
My past or why I'm here
My present's fast becoming
A mission that is clear

To be a wife and mother.
To be a loyal friend.
To walk beside the lonely
As they near their journey's end.

I won't give up.
I won't give in.
And quitting's not an option.
I've run the race.
I think I lost.
They bought me at an auction.

How much they paid?
I do not know,
Nor do I really care.
It matters not where I came from
Or how I get from here to there.

The fact remains that I'm alive
And breathing precious air.
My skin is mine,
My soul is fine,
And I have joy beyond compare.

So let them drag me off again,
I dare them, now, to try.
I'm not afraid of their petty plans.
I'm not afraid to die.

I'm ready, now, 
What ever comes.
My LORD may call me soon.
It may be morning, 
Maybe night.
It may be afternoon.

Yet still I hear the cries of those
Who wander, lost, in sin.
I beg for just another day'
So they can enter in.

I plead for souls
Once lost, like mine . . .
Dear G-d, please wait  . . .
For there are still a few souls left
Please say it's not too late?

Forgive us, LORD, our trespasses,
As we forgive each other,
And lead us by your Mighty Hand
To help out one another.

We're strangers here
We long for home,
But where is it?
Why do we roam?

Perhaps this is
My final home .  . .
Please say that I can stay!
I'm tired of leaving,
Tired of losing,
Tired of going "away."

I've played the hand You dealt me
The best that I knew how.
I've made mistakes a thousand times
But repentant, I am now.

I've changed my mind.
I've changed my ways.
My goals are not the same.
I'm here, LORD, and I'm waiting.
I don't even know my name.

Please comfort all my children.
Tell them Mommy loves them all.
From young to old, from fat to thin,
From weak to strong, from short to tall.

I know not where this pilgrimage
Will end, is this the place?
Will I ever enter Zion?
Will I ever see Your face?

Or am I doomed to ever wander,
Ever wonder who I am?
Am I some sort of mutant,
Or am I your little lamb?

At this point,
Does it matter,
I'm confused and torn apart inside.
There isn't a vessel large enough
To hold the tears I've cried.

I've told you "I'm sorry"
A billion times
For what, I'm still not sure
I don't know what I did so wrong
Or what the guilt is for . . .

Was I accursed in my mother's womb?
Where was I born; what was the day?
Why did You make me feel such things
That words can't even say?

Just flashes left in my memory
That don't make any sense.
And I don't trust my own damn thoughts
My feeling are too immense.

But thank you, LORD, 
For giving me
A chance to touch this life.
To be a Mom,
To be a Friend,
To really be a wife.

I feel so lost and sometimes alone.
I don't know what I'm supposed to do.
So I watch and I wait,
And hope I don't mess up,
I really wish I knew .........

But here I am,
And once again,
I'm working in a stable.
Use me here or use me there.
I'm ready and I'm able.

My body has been broken
But my spirit is intact.
My mind may have been bent in two,
But I know how to react.

I've been surviving for so long,
It's all I know to do.
So I reach out to the ONLY ONE
I know for sure is TRUE. 

You created me for a purpose,
Although I'm not sure what it is.
Perhaps to be a loving wife
And raise our precious kids.

If that's the case,
I'll give my all.
That's what I always do.
But LORD, please hear my simple plea,
As I'm depending on you.

So many sleep,
Their minds in a daze
As they trade their time for money
To buy the latest craze.

I don't know what You want from me
Or what You want me to do.
But here I am, so help me G-D,
And tomorrow's a day that's new!












No comments:

Post a Comment

You can comment or ask a question ANONYMOUSLY if you don't feel comfortable revealing your identity!