Friday, April 24, 2009

For You, I Will (poem)

(to my daughter)

I cannot bear the thought
Of baring all
I'll stumble and I'll falter,
Then I'll fall
I cannot find the words
To tell my pain
I shudder when I think
Of going there again

But for you, I will.

I cannot find a soul
That knows the way
I cannot stretch the funds
Another day
I cannot beg for help
And swallow pride
I cannot let them see
The scars inside

But for you, I will.

I cannot prove the sum
Of what has been.
I can't remember
Just exactly when.
I cannot face the words
"No one would stay.
If it were true
You would have gone away."

But for you, I will.

I cannot play
If I don't know the rules
I cannot win
If I don't have the tools.
I cannot trust my life
To someone else.
I cannot take a risk
And trust myself.

But for you, I will.

I cannot stand this pain
Another day.
I cannot make the madness
Go away.
I cannot fill out one more
Stupid form.
I cannot wake up
One more early morn.

But for you, I will.

I cannot reach beyond
The world I know.
I cannot step in faith
And just let go
I cannot trust
That it will be okay
I cannot hope
There'll be a brighter day

But for you, I will.

1 comment:

You can comment or ask a question ANONYMOUSLY if you don't feel comfortable revealing your identity!