Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Domestic Abuse SURVIVOR

Coming up in a few weeks I'll be attending a special occasion for DV survivors -- a "reunion" of sorts. We all stand around and light a candle and have a moment of silence for those still in DV situations and those who "escaped" their abusive situations PERMANENTLY & were ushered into eternity. It's a time of solidarity, a time of solemnity, and yet, a time of HOPE when we see how many of us there are who DID found our way out.

I can't help but think differently things could have turned out for my children & I ... and how many opportunities we have now. This is the first day of the rest of my life! Although the things I've been through (and in some cases am still going through because of the insanity of the "justice" system) definitely changed my life in a HUGE way, I refuse to be identified as a "victim." Victims are DEAD. I am NOT dead.

I may not have left as soon as I SHOULD have, but I left before he killed me (either physically or emotionally). And although my soul still often feels numb & lifeless, I am beginning to feel a few tiny sparks of hope stirring within me -- and I *KNOW* that better days are coming just around the bend. I will not give up. I've come so far. By the grace of God, I know that I will "make it" ... I am a SURVIVOR.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can comment or ask a question ANONYMOUSLY if you don't feel comfortable revealing your identity!