Saturday, March 10, 2012

Broken . . . and Glowing? (freewrite)



A while back, I had bought the kids some of those neon "glow sticks" at the dollar store. They were excited to get them out of the package, but my daughter took one look at hers and tossed it on the floor in disgust. "Mommy, mine doesn't work," she said, "It doesn't glow at all.'

"Sure it does," I assured her, and proceeded to take the tube and bend it back and forth along the length of it to break the glass to release/commingle the chemicals.

"Stop, Mommy!" she exclaimed as she heard the snapping and cracking noises from the glass shattering inside, "you're BREAKING IT!"

I explained to her that the only way to get it to glow is to "break it" on the inside.

Before long, all 3 of them were dancing around waving the brightly colored "wands" in the air, making various shapes and designs.

I couldn't help but think that sometimes I, like my duaghter, shudder when the things around me "shatter."

"Stop it, Lord," I protest, "You're breaking me!"

Who knows, maybe I'm a little like those goofy little plastic toys -- the only way God could get me to "glow" was to "break me on the inside" a little.


No comments:

Post a Comment

You can comment or ask a question ANONYMOUSLY if you don't feel comfortable revealing your identity!