Wednesday, April 22, 2015

CELEBRATE EVERYTHING! (photo and poem)


You didn't win --
I just wanted you to know.
I'm holding my own
In this one-woman show.

I used to  always shudder 
Every time I thought of you.
Running from the pain
Was the only way to get through.
But today I thought of you
And a smile crossed my face
You see, you're not my problem anymore
You're in some other place.

I am safe.
I am free.
I am learning to be whole again.
I am learning to be me.

I'm raising our children,
All by myself.
You'd be amazed by their pictures
Featured up on the shelf.
They're getting good grades,
And they love to ride the bus.
There's very little left
Of the nightmares you gave us.
Oh sure, now and then
A horrible memory slips through,
But we always try to remind
Ourselves that that was years ago
In another place and time.

So no I smile through the pain,
Putting the pieces together again.
Working on letting go of shame.
Wishing I had changed my name.
But on I go, my head held high.
I did my best. I really tried.
And here's the best part --
No one died!

You don't need a birthday to party,
And you don't need sunshine to sing, 
You don't need a reason to be happy.
You can celebrate anything!


No comments:

Post a Comment

You can comment or ask a question ANONYMOUSLY if you don't feel comfortable revealing your identity!