Saturday, April 28, 2012

Intimacy After an Abusive Relationship

I was worried that I wouldn't be able to be physically intimate with another man after my abusive relationship.  I was just sure that if my new boyfriend even TOUCHED me that I'd be triggered and have a panic attack.  But he's been very patient, gentle, and respectful, and things are going great.

I think the key to successful physical intimacy after an abusive relationship is openness, honestly, and respect.  If you inform your partner about your potential triggers and explain to them how these types of things make you feel, then he or she can be careful to avoid those types of activities. 

I'm thankful that my new boyfriend has been patient with me and has allowed me to control the level of physical intimacy.  I highly suggest that anyone who's starting a new relationship with someone after a previously abusive relationship make it a high priority to seek out someone who has a great deal of patience and respect.  Those two things are key. 

Red flags that a new partner may exhibit that would warn you to get out of the relationship:

  • Wanting to be with you constantly and not allowing you to have any "alone" time.
  • Wanting to know where you are and what you are doing at all times (i.e. texting and calling you constantly to check up on you). 
  • Having strange fetishes or odd sexual demands (i.e. wanting a threesome or insisting that you role play in a way that makes you uncomfortable)
  • Constantly comparing you to prior partners and/or constantly talking about prior relationships.
  • Pressuring you to become more intimate than you want to be, sooner than you want to, or more often than you want to
  • Moving the relationship along too quickly (i.e. seriously discussing marriage too soon, etc)
  • Being jealous of other friends that you may have
  • Asking you lots of questions about your past but not being willing to talk about his/her past
  • Being obsessed with his/her appearance and/or your appearance
There are others, of course, but those are a few warning signs to look for.  Luckily, so far, my new boyfriend has been very respectful of the boundaries I've set up and hasn't pressured me to do anything that I'm uncomfortable with.  Am I in love?  It's too early to tell, but I'm definitely leaning in that direction!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can comment or ask a question ANONYMOUSLY if you don't feel comfortable revealing your identity!