Monday, February 20, 2012

Replacing Self-Defeating Statements with Positive Affirmations

Over the years, as a result of being in an abusive relationship, I've adopted many "beliefs" that now serve no purpose.  In fact, some of these beliefs are actually harmful and crippling.  I know that as part of my healing process I will need to change these beliefs into more positive ones.  For now, though, I'll just list them as a way of acknowledging how twisted my belief system has become as a result of the trauma.  Then, I will ATTEMPT to rewrite the old beliefs as a new list of positive affirmations.   Here goes!

My Self-Defeating Statements:
  • I cannot take risks. If I do, something bad will happen for sure.
  • I should not be seen or heard. I need my thoughts and feelings to myself.
  • I am invisible. Nobody knows what I'm going through.
  • It's okay to do things I don't want to do if it will keep worse things from happening.
  • Other people are better than I am.
  • I am a bad person and deserve to be punished.
  • I must be perfect.
  • I am a disappointment to my parents, my children, God, and myself.
  • My interests, choices, wants, and needs are not of value to anyone.
  • If something goes wrong, it is my fault.
  • I don't deserve to be happy.
  • I am not worth loving; nobody could possibly love me now.
  • I am weak and worthless.
My Positive Affirmations:
  • It is okay to take some risks.  I can ask people that I trust to advise me about which risks are worth taking. 
  • My thoughts and feelings are important and I shouldn't be afraid to express how I feel in appropriate circumstances. 
  • There are people who know what I am going through and care about me.
  • It's okay for me to refuse to do things I don't want to do.
  • I am no better or worse than anybody else.
  • I don't need to be perfect.
  • My parents, my children, and God are proud of me.  I  am proud of myself.
  • My interests, choices, wants, and needs are important.
  • If something goes wrong, it is not necessarily my fault.
  • I deserve to be happy.
  • I am a lovable human being.
  • I am stronger than I give myself credit for being.
  • I am a child of God and therefore have worth.
There . . . that wasn't so hard to WRITE . . . now I just have to work on BELIEVING what I've written . . . something tells me that will be a bit more difficult.  However, I am determined not to stayed "stuck" in the cycle of negative thinking and feeling.  I will break free . . . maybe not today or tomorrow, but each day I can move closer and closer toward a more positive way of thinking and feeling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can comment or ask a question ANONYMOUSLY if you don't feel comfortable revealing your identity!